[MEI-L] @clef* inside scoredef

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Dec 8 23:42:47 CET 2011

Hi, Thomas,

I think you're asking -- Why are the clef* attributes allowed on <scoreDef> but the <clef> element isn't allowed as a child of <scoreDef>?  Is that right?

I've been waiting for someone else to notice this before I brought it up myself :) because I anticipated that the next request would be for <clef> and <meter> elements and so on until all the attributes on <scoreDef> were duplicated by element children.  I was hoping to limit these requests to those that couldn't be fulfilled by an attribute -- in other words, where more than one value might be needed or where more detailed data was needed, such as explicit placement information on the accidentals in a key signature.

But, the tech group could/should discuss adding <clef> (and perhaps <clefGrp>) as well -- these are members of model.staffDefPart. Next, maybe <meter>.  These can all be proposed for the next, next MEI revision (2013?).  But, we must be careful because if the list of new elements for <scoreDef> goes much beyond these, then it will have ripple effects throughout the schema that will require much more discussion / work.

Does this help?

Perry Roland
Music Library

University of Virginia