[MEI-L] Debussy La Danse de Puck clef

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Jun 9 22:41:35 CEST 2011

I like Craig's "C pointer" analogy, but for me it's still a clef that's been shifted downward in order to relieve some of the visual "clutter".  So, I would encode this clef just like any other standard F clef; that is, on the 4th line of the 2nd staff.  That's the position that makes "logical" sense.  This approach is completely transposable.

The visual shift could be dealt with in multiple ways, depending on the purpose of the encoding.  At present, the only solution is to use @facs to "point to" an image region, but if <clef> were made a member of att.visualoffset, then it would be possible to indicate its position relative to where it "should've been".  (Don't hold me to the attribute class name above -- it could be wrong.)

Of course, the problem with this approach is that a non-human reader of the notation (otherwise known as an OMR app) can't know that this is a standard clef with a strange visual placement.  It event takes expert human readers a little while to figure it out.