[MEI-L] Debussy La Danse de Puck [vs. Ravel Scarbo] clef

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Wed Jun 8 04:33:58 CEST 2011

I agree with almost everything you say, Craig. The "simple
representational hack" really is a hack; much better to say, this note
_really_ belongs to staff 3, which is in bass clef with a conventional
key signature of three flats. The only odd thing is that staff 3 is
superimposed on staff 2, etc., as you say. Just one thing: I don't see
how saying the bass clef note's staff is "ossia type" makes any sense.

The situation in Scarbo is vastly different. The _only_ odd thing is
the fact that, of the notes on the 2nd staff in m. 4 of the excerpt,
the downstemmed notes on the downbeat are in bass clef, while the
upstemmed notes -- which are also on the downbeat despite the red
herring of being far to the right, after the clef change -- are in
treble. Much harder to see what's going on, but easier to represent:
just let a voice (or perhaps a chord, or just some notes) have
its/their own clef, overriding the staff's current clef... Well, that's
not completely satisfying, but it should do the job.

--Don

--
Donald Byrd
Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching Fellow