[MEI-L] relateditem and relations between mei elements

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Thu Jan 6 11:24:56 CET 2011

Hi Perry,

as <relateditem> is modelled after <source>, using it in <filedesc> would of course require some redefinition or probably even a different element (like <relatedWork>, as you suggest). I thought that was what was implied in your response. As it is, I am aware that <relateditem> is usable for bibliographic items only - hence my question about how to relate works.
Using a uniform title to tie together different versions seems to me a bit too vague. The connection to other versions would be obscured until the entire collection is searched and a matching title in another file is found. Also the kind of relationship would not be clear from a matching title alone, and finally there is the risk of accidentally displaying as related versions two works which just happen to have the same uniform title. Or do I misunderstand the concept?
I could use some of these solutions (preferably the last one), they just don't seem very convincing to me.

/axel