[MEI-L] Mei.measure. at complete

Julian Dabbert dabbert at upb.de
Wed Dec 8 16:20:00 CET 2010

Dear all,

I am currently developing a validation algorithm for the MEI Score
Editor (MEISE) that checks whether a measure has the correct number of
beats, just like proofreading in a word processor application.

Concentrating on the "complete" attribute, I found the problem that the
same measure can hold all three states "complete", "incomplete" and
"overfilled" at the same time when the staffs within the measure are of
the respective heterogenous states. But unfortunately the @complete may
choose only one form.

My current idea of handling this is to check each staff within the
measure for either matching the number of beats or failing to match,
therefore shifting from a three-state indicator "c/i/o" to a (less
specific) boolean one: "c/i" with "i" being overloaded by both meanings
"incomplete" and "overfilled".

Do you have other suggestions how to handle this problem?

Best wishes,
  -Julian