[MEI-L] source-type metadata

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 15 14:29:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

I would suggest to try to keep information related to the physical
description and information related to the edition separated. I have the
impression that something like 'print_score_later' mixes several types of
information, with the risk to have exponential possible combination. And the
order might be problematic too if we want to use it as a search criteria.

I would personally store within <physdesc> whether it is a 'print' a
'manuscript' etc. The @type could be an option. At the RISM, we use the
following values, which might have to be extended:
- print
- autograph
- doubtful autograph
- manuscript
- manuscript with autograph annotations

To me, score/parts information does not seem to be related to the physical
description. For example, In MARC21, the information is typically stored in
a 254 tag (25X-28X tags being used for Edition, Imprint, Etc.):
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd254.html

In a cross-walk from MARC21 to TEI I've been looking at, the 254 tag goes
into a <noteStmt> within the <bibFull> element. If we want do something
similar with what we have now in MEI, we would probably get something like:

<sourcedesc>
    <source>
        <notestmt>
            <annot>Full score</annot>
        </notestmt>
    </source>
</sourcedesc>

But maybe we would need something more specific than an annotation?

All the best,
Laurent