[MEI-L] form & function

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Mar 6 19:57:53 CET 2009

All,

I think it would be very bad indeed to put TEI's msdesc element into MEI at this time.  I don't see a reason to replicate msdesc in MEI mainly because it's too complex.  I think I've provided most of the same description capabilities in MEI in a simpler fashion; that is, via the sub-elements of physdesc.

The name "musicclass" is an adaptation of "textclass" from TEI P4.  And I'm not opposed to renaming it as long as the new name isn't "msdesc"!  :)  That would cause a different kind of confusion.  However, I don't have a different name on the tip of my tongue right now.

--
perry

Perry Roland
Scholarly Resources