[MEI-L] form & function

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Mar 6 18:09:02 CET 2009

Hi, everyone,

It was my intention that the musicclass element be used for this kind of "cataloging".  The <source> element allows <musicclass> as its last child.  For example,

          <musicclass>
            <keywords>
              <term n="form">score</term>
              <term n="function">sketch</term>
            </keywords>
          </musicclass>

Obviously, the <term> element contains a word or phrase describing the source.  The term can be "controlled", i.e., drawn from a particular thesaurus or ontology, or "uncontrolled".  In the example above, the terms "score" and "sketch" are uncontrolled, that is, they are my own invention.  I've labelled them with the n attribute so as to make a distinction between the two kinds of terms. This works well for those situations where only I need to make use of my descriptive terms.  Of course, this makes it more difficult for anyone else to search my corpus of encodings because my terms may be strange and inconsistently applied.

          <musicclass>
            <classcode id="cc1">Thesaurus of musical form terms</classcode>
            <classcode id="cc2">Thesaurus of musical function terms</classcode>
            <keywords>
              <term n="form" classcode="cc1">full score</term>
              <term n="function" classcode="cc2">sketch</term>
            </keywords>
          </musicclass>

In this case, the n attributes are probably unnecessary since "cc1" contains musical form terms and "cc2" contains musical function terms.

I think one should rely on standards wherever possible, but I can't offer much advice about which particular terms and classification codes to use.  Those choices have to be left to each encoder/project.  Obviously possibilities include Library of Congress subject headings, MARC leader and 008 field codes and the 047 (form of composition), 048 (instruments and voices), and 254 (musical presentation) fields, and the (apparently discontinued) Music Library Association music thesaurus project.

--
perry

Perry Roland
Scholarly Resources