[MEI-L] form & function

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Fri Mar 6 00:35:02 CET 2009

Hi all,

for the Edirom, we need to describe sources in a way that currently
seems to be unsupported by MEI (please correct me, Perry). We have no
encoded music to imply some of the information, so it needs to be
declared explicitly somewhere.

What we need is a distinction of the source's form: score, voices,
piano reduction… and also of it's function: sketch, fair copy,
presentation copy, working manuscript, performance material…

When thinking about prints, there might be the need for an explicit
labelling of first prints.

Regarding the form, a simple attribute @form on <source> might be
sufficient in most cases (what do you think about using <extent>
instead???).

For the function, we probably need an own element, probably as direct
child of <source> and sibling of <physdesc>. It might turn out that
the very same source serves a multiple or different functions in one
or more editions, and in that case we would need to specify the
context of the function with the help of an appropriate attribute.
This context thing is nothing we're currently worried about, but I see
some future problems in this field, and we should try to pick a
solution that's easily extensible later. Therefore I propose a
<function> within <source>.

Any comments?

johannes