[mei-catalog-ig] Proposed changes to <event> in MEI 3.0.0

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Wed Mar 16 17:24:17 CET 2016

Hi Perry

MerMEId has never been set up to allow more than a single <p> within <event>, so at least among MerMEId users I am pretty sure no-one has actually produced events containing several paragraphs. From this perspective, a single element allowing mixed content would be fine. But I still think there is need for something else than <label> (or <head>). To me, both ‘label’ and ‘head’ signify something that goes before or above the text/data, like ‘Label: Data’.
I am not convinced that the text in my example is in fact a label. I at least don’t think of it that way. In MerMEId, the corresponding input is labeled ‘Description’, indicating the intention we had. In the context of <provenance> we provide two input fields: one for the date of the event and one for the ‘Description’. What I had in mind was an output like:

2016-03-16: [Description of the event]

For the description, we give the example ‘Purchased by The Royal Library from John Doe’. That’s not really a label for the date, is it? I’d definitely prefer adding <desc> (which I think is also a much better name than the layout-oriented <p>); then I’d be perfectly happy with the ‘structured’ choice.

Oh, watching the repo... Well. Here comes the embarrassing part: I still haven’t figured out how to work with GitHub. SVN was manageable, but Git goes beyond my abilities. I vaguely understand the principle, but I haven’t found a way to work with it that actually works for me. I also tried several tools but had to give it up every time because I realized that I really don’t know what I am doing – or what I am supposed to do. Sorry, but I’ve given up on it.

Suddenly feeling old,
Axel