[mei-catalog-ig] <physLoc> and <provenance>

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Fri Nov 13 09:18:57 CET 2015

Hi Perry & Klaus

Best,
Axel

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: mei-catalog-ig [mailto:mei-catalog-ig-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de] På vegne af Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h)
Sendt: 12. november 2015 21:46
Til: MEI Metadata and Cataloging Interest Group
Emne: Re: [mei-catalog-ig] <physLoc> and <provenance>

Hi Klaus,

I see where you're going with this, but "provenance" (in library parlance) and "history" are different things.  The distinction is subtle, but real nonetheless.  "History" is a more general term than "provenance", the latter being a only record of possession or ownership.  As it deals with physical location historically, it makes sense to me for <provenance> to be located inside <physLoc>.

I have no objection to adding <history> as a child of <source> (and as a sibling of <physDesc> and <physLoc>) other than the fact that I'm afraid other users will also be confused about the difference between "history" and "provenance".  On the other hand, many will know the difference (and use the elements appropriately), while the rest can be guided by well-written documentation.  :-)