[mei-catalog-ig] <physLoc> and <provenance>

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Nov 12 21:46:16 CET 2015

Hi Klaus,

I see where you're going with this, but "provenance" (in library parlance) and "history" are different things.  The distinction is subtle, but real nonetheless.  "History" is a more general term than "provenance", the latter being a only record of possession or ownership.  As it deals with physical location historically, it makes sense to me for <provenance> to be located inside <physLoc>.

I have no objection to adding <history> as a child of <source> (and as a sibling of <physDesc> and <physLoc>) other than the fact that I'm afraid other users will also be confused about the difference between "history" and "provenance".  On the other hand, many will know the difference (and use the elements appropriately), while the rest can be guided by well-written documentation.  :-)