[mei-tablature-ig] Meeting at Music Encoding Conference

David Lewis D.Lewis at gold.ac.uk
Mon Jul 26 13:48:50 CEST 2021

Dear MEI Tablature IG members,

Our meeting at the Music Encoding Conference was fairly short and small, which meant it could also be quite focussed.

After a quick review of the previous year’s progress, which has included getting basic tablature display into Verovio – an in-browser music rendering tool – and some progress on formalising MEI tablature, we had a look at what might be blocking further progress. This was mostly looking at the most common bits of the notation that go beyond numbers on lines.

Notes from the meeting are included here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-0OwElAXgo-QDO77j5bYBsa4d5hMLAFZsfIzhTkj8Jw/edit?ts=60f86758#

If anyone is interested either in the encoding discussions raised (particularly fingerings and ‘tenuto’ holding lines), or in helping us extend Verovio, please do get in touch.

I think it would probably be helpful if we were to have at least one meeting of the IG before the next MEC. We’ll try to arrange something and will notify the list when we have something concrete to share.

Best wishes,

David