[mei-neumes-ig] MEI Neumes Module Draft, Version 0.2

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Sep 23 14:43:32 CEST 2017

Dear Inga, all,

I hope you have all been having a good time in Halifax! I wish I could be there...

I think I will need some clarification about what you wrote, however, and what was discussed. I can't seem to reconcile the two points that you are making, the first being that it will be a description of all types of notation, and the second being that the visual domain should take priority. It seems to me that the most fundamental difference between the different types of notations *are* their shapes, and so to prioritise the visual domain would necessarily bias it towards being more suitable to some notation types over others.

It's important to recognise that MEI is not a paelaeography description language [1], and that the first priority is to describe the musical content, independent of how it looks. Teasing apart the visual and musical dimensions in notation is not a straightforward task, which is why I think we're all struggling with this (and that's OK!).

So what's the way forward?

Perhaps its useful to think of MEI as less a way of stating absolute truth, and more a way of encoding the critical and interpretative decisions made in the process of capturing the notation. It seems to me that the sticking point is a reluctance to make a statement about musical interpretation, since some notation styles are ambiguous and their exact interpretation has been lost. It's a "known unknown" -- we know that we don't know what it is. I think there are two ways that we can address this.

The first is understanding that the process of encoding is always interpretation, that this will necessarily involve getting it wrong, and that its OK. Should you be asked to make a printed edition of an ambiguous source you would need to make decisions that you know are your own interpretation and not shared by everyone. Putting it into the digital domain does not solve that problem. So I don't think we should shy away from understanding that it's an interpretative process.

From a technical angle, MEI allows you to encode ambiguity through the critical encoding apparatus. sic/corr, app/rdg, unclear, choice, orig/reg -- these are all mechanisms through which one can encode ambiguous interpretations and assign interpretative provenance to them. Should these mechanisms not be suitable, additional methods of signalling an interpreters unease can be defined. These are the mechanisms that allows us to make our interpretations explicit.

My two biggest reservations about prioritising the visual domain are: the level of granularity that is necessary to fully represent the notation, and the difficulty in processing the encodings to look for patterns across a corpus. As Elaine mentioned, the difference between "north" and "northeast" in a particular hand may vary. It also may vary depending on other factors, like the precision with which the notation was being written (is it a quick draft copy, or is it a carefully written copy?). Ineveitably, should we go down this route we will likely be asked to accommodate encodings with the precise angle at which a sign is bent. At this point, MEI becomes a graphical representation format more like SVG, and this brings with it a whole slew of other problems, like visual baselines and units of measurement. (If a symbol is angled 'northeast' but the angle at which the musical content is written on the page is not at 90° from the top/bottom, from where is the angle measured from?)

With greater visual accuracy, musical accuracy (and the ability to search for the same musical patterns across a corpus) diminishes. This is because delegating the musical interpretation outside of MEI means it is up to the implementers of software to create the interpretation when it comes time to understand the musical content. It will make writing software for corpus analysis harder since it will necessarily require deeper understanding of musical interpretation on the part of the developer. Imagine only having textual descriptions, provided by multiple people, of neumes with no pictures, and then being asked to reconstruct the musical content -- I would think this would be a difficult task for even the most seasoned neumes expert! Expecting software developers to do this will lead to less-than-satisfactory results.

I think the issues Elaine raises are precisely why efforts on the new Neumes description format have been biased towards visual descriptions, rather than musical content. I'm not qualified to understand historical descriptions within various corpora, so I will have to defer to others in discussing their significance. From a high level, though, it seems that the issue is with levels of granularity and generalization.

Granularity deals with using a symbol to describe one, and only one, quality of a symbol; the same thing cannot be used to describe both pitch and duration, for example -- those two dimensions need to be described separately. In the case of an unknown interpretation there should be a way of encoding the presence of a symbol without veering either too far to the interpretative side ("heavy", "strong") or to the visual side ("angled", "wavy"). Doing that without using a broadly acceptable name further complicates that. Is there some other way we can reconcile this? For common music notation, for example, we usually just encode the presence of a 'fermata' without making its performance implications or visual appearance explicit (although we could) [2].

Generalization is about how well one set of descriptors applies across different styles. Are there really no fundamental principles of the notation that would allow for comparison and alignment between OH neumes and Corpus Monodicum neumes? If they are fundamentally incompatible then this is something we need to figure out. If there are (and I suspect there are) then what are they?

-Andrew

[1] MEI can be used in a Paleography context through several other mechanisms. One is the ability to align musical contents with digital images through the 'zone' mechanism, which we've been using in the Cantus Ultimus systems for identifying signs on a page. The second is that SVG can be used in tandem with MEI to provide precise shape descriptions, as demonstrated by the Beethovens Werkstatt project. Making contact sheets of neume shapes (e.g., what you can do here: https://ahankinson.github.io/hartker-neume-table/) is possible with existing MEI mechansims. What is not possible, at the moment, is a method of aligning the musical contents across these corpora.

[2] We can encode:

<note fermata="above" />
<fermata />
<fermata shape="angled" />
<fermata shape="angular" form="inv" />
<fermata dur.ges="256p" />

This, I think, accurately separates out the presence of a sign from its particular shape, orientation, and duration.