[mei-neumes-ig] MEI Neumes Module Draft, Version 0.2

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at virginia.edu
Wed Sep 20 17:20:15 CEST 2017

Thomas,

I haven't yet had the time to read your proposal, but I agree with Andrew that semantic meaning (rather than visual characteristics) should be the primary focus of any encoding.  As for naming, MEI 4.0.0 allows one to reference a locally- or externally-defined taxonomy/ontology/controlled vocabulary/classification scheme using the @class attribute, e.g.,

The @type attribute can be used for ad hoc typing for extension or restriction; that is, where a formal taxonomy doesn't exist, e.g.,