[mei-neumes-ig] MEI Neumes Module Draft, Version 0.21

Elsa De Luca elsa at campus.ul.pt
Sun Oct 15 13:57:47 CEST 2017

I would prefer not to equate the duration with length of the pen-stroke.

As it was pointed out during our conversations in Halifax, scholars have
worked out that the length of the pen-stroke was used to convey music
information related to intervals. Please have a look at the clivis
(examples 1 and 2) on p. 17 in E. Cardine, Semiologia Gregoriana
(attached). The clivis with a
longer pen-stroke (n. 2) signals a wider interval.

Regarding Old Hispanic notation we cannot confirm that the length of the
pen-stroke was used to convey the same kind of musical information (because
we do not have the safe blanket of more modern versions of OH melodies
written with a more diastematic notational system that can be used for
comparison of the early neumes). However, research on OH scores hints that
the length of the pen-stroke was purposefully used to convey some sort of
musical information also in this repertory - even if we cannot pin down
exactly what musical value the length of the pen-stroke was capturing*.*

I hope this helps

Elsa De Luca <http://cesem.fcsh.unl.pt/en/pessoa/elsa-de-luca/>

CESEM (Centre for the Study of the Sociology and Aesthetic of Music)

Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas – NOVA FCSH

Av. de Berna, 26 C, 1069-061

Lisbon, Portugal