[mei-neumes-ig] Cantus Ultimus meeting in Halifax

Ichiro Fujinaga, Prof. ichiro.fujinaga at mcgill.ca
Sat Oct 14 23:58:50 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Below is an overview of what was discussed on changes to the MEI Neumes Module Draft, from Version 0.20 to 0.21 (I will post this in a separate email), at the Cantus Ultimus Meeting (SIMSSA Workshop XIII) on 22 September 2017 in Halifax. Thanks to Becky Shaw and Debra Lacoste, who took notes.
Present were: Jennifer Bain, Inga Behrendt, Mark Daley, Elsa De Luca, Ichiro Fujinaga, Kate Helsen, Alessandra Ignesti, Debra Lacoste, Sarah Long, Becky Shaw, and Mirka Tiede.

Ichiro

===================================
@angular
change to @angled (to complement @curved)
the ‘plain’ option is unnecessary
‘staircase’ describes a neume’s general shape rather than the specific connection between two pitches; i.e., a ‘staircase’ is made up of one or more ‘v-shapes’
because ‘plain’ and ‘staircase’ are no longer needed, @angular can be simplified to mean one thing: @angled

@len
for Old Hispanic neumes, in particular, we need a means of differentiating the length of sections of a neume
two options:
- add @len with ‘long’ and ‘short’ options (if it is middle-length, it does not require a designation under @len)
- add a relative length attribute to indicate pen-strokes that are longer or shorter in relation to other pen strokes within the same neume

@wavy
change @wavy to @s-shape with the following options to indicate the initial direction of the pen-stroke:
s (south), w (west), n (north), e (east)

@con
add ‘extended’ option

@quilisma
- the attribute quilisma cannot go with the <nc> because <nc> is defined as a single pitch event
- solutions?
-- make each curve of the quilisma a single neume component
-- change the definition of the <nc>
-- move the quilisma attribute to the level of the <neume> (maybe this one -- if no one can think of a reason why not)

(This was later solved by considering quilisma as a single pitch event.)

@intm at all levels:
- can we change "u" to "h", and "d" to "l" in order to be consistent?
- sh and sl are already in use.
Is there any previous work using u and d that we are obliged to follow?
Yes, the “u” and “d” values were already defined for the @intm attribute.

@hook
the @hook will stay at the level of the <nc> (not <neume>)

@len
rethink relative lengths of strokes within a neume
- create a new attribute?  Elsa has an idea that involves the @con attribute, so maybe that can be a solution (but we were interrupted by the start of the Salzinnes Exhibit tour.)