[mei-neumes-ig] A draft for the new Neumes Module schema

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu May 25 11:15:10 CEST 2017

Music and "lyrical content" (i.e., sung texts) are always encoded in relationship to each other in MEI; the question for chant is whether the syllable is the primary organizational object, and how we reconcile that with later repertoires that can have non-sung content.

In neume notation, we are organizing the music using:

syllable
    syl ("Je-"): Carries the actual text that is sung;
    neume(s)

while in mensural the 'syllable' disappears (since you can have instrumental mensural notation):

note
   syl ("Je-")

In both cases we encode the text with the music; the difference being a "philosophical" one about the primacy of the syllable as an organizational principle in the music. The 'syl' in neume notation is optional, but the 'syllable' isn't. This reflects the idea that there is always a sung text in neume notation, but we may not always know what that text is.

-Andrew