[MEI-L] Question about @corresp and @copyof to encode repeated tenors of motets

Karen Desmond kdesmond at brandeis.edu
Wed Apr 8 18:48:40 CEST 2020

In our encodings of late medieval motets, we are making two encodings: the
first encodes the parts-based representation in the original manuscript and
the second encodes the same piece in score format. Motets (and later on,
mass movements too) are very commonly based on a tenor melody that is sung
two or more times. A very common layout for motets copied in parts in
manuscripts is that the tenor melody is written once, and usually some sign
or written instruction at the end of the tenor indicates the number of
times it is to be sung. In our score encodings, we are trying to figure out
the best way of encoding these repeats of the tenor melody
when lining the voices into a score, and wondered if the community had any
advice. We have narrowed it down to either @corresp or @copyof as an
attribute of note and rest and wondered if one might be preferable to the
other.

This is how the parts vs. the score would be encoded (in the following
example the tenor has only four notes and that the tenor is supposed to be
repeated once, i.e., is stated twice altogether):

*Parts*
<parts>
    <part label=“triplum”/>
    <part label=“motetus”/>
    <part label="tenor">
        <section>
            <staff n="1">
                 <layer n="1">
                     <note xml:id="note1"/>
                     <note xml:id="note2”/>
                     <note xml:id="note3”/>
                     <note xml:id="note4"/>
                 </layer>
             </staff>
        </section>
    </part>
</parts>

*Score*
<score>
    <section>
        <staff n=“1”/>
        <staff n=“2”/>
        <staff n=“3">
            <layer n="1”>
                <note xml:id=“note1”/>
                <note xml:id=“note2”/>
                <note xml:id=“note3”/>
                <note xml:id=“note4"/>
                <note xml:id=“note5” corresp=“#note1”/>
                <note xml:id=“note6” corresp=“#note2”/>
                <note xml:id=“note7” corresp=“#note3”/>
                <note xml:id=“note8” corresp=“#note4"/>
            </layer>
        </staff>
    </section>
</score>

Which would be better @corresp or @copyof? Thanks!!

---
Karen Desmond
Associate Professor of Music & Director of Graduate Studies
(Musicology), Brandeis
University
http://www.arsmusicae.org/wordpress/

*In general, I reply to emails within 24-48 hours, during business hours
Monday to Thursday (Friday is my research day).*