[MEI-L] Jazz Chords in MEI ?

Etienne Fréjaville efreja at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 2 00:00:25 CET 2019

Hi Perry,

Thanks very much for your answer. That's a much clearer and a good start.
I have therefore some questions about the ability of MEI to represent some
simple situations in a Jazz grid.
As understood, I suppose that the best I can do to encode the following
measure (the 6th) extracted from Coltrane's "Crescent" is:

<score>
                    <scoreDef>
 <staffGrp>
  <staffDef n="1" lines="5" clef.shape="G" clef.line="2" />
 </staffGrp>
 <chordDef xml:id="DminDom5f">
  <chordMember pname="d" oct="4"/>
  <chordMember pname="f" oct="4"/>
  <chordMember pname="a" accid.ges="f" oct="4"/>
  <chordMember pname="c" oct="4"/>
 </chordDef>
 <chordDef xml:id="GDom5s">
  <chordMember pname="g" oct="4"/>
  <chordMember pname="b" oct="4"/>
  <chordMember pname="d" accid.ges="s" oct="4"/>
  <chordMember pname="f" oct="4"/>
 </chordDef>
                    </scoreDef>
                    <section>
 <measure n="1">
  <staff n="1">
   <layer n="1">
    <note pname="a" dur="2" oct="5" />
    <note pname="g" dur="4" oct="5" />
    <note pname="g" dur="4" oct="5" />
   </layer>
  </staff>
  <harm chordref="#DminDom5f" staff="1" tstamp="1">D-7b5/G</harm>
  <harm chordref="#GDom5s" staff="1" tstamp="3">G7#5</harm>
 </measure>
                    </section>
                </score>

What I can see is :
- I don’t know how to encode the root of the chord. Is it supposed to be
always the lowest note of the chordDef ?
- I don't know how to encode the base of the chord : In my first chord,
it's G (the 11th of the chord) but appears only on the <harm> value which
is not part of the semantics.
- I don’t see how from the <harm> value we can guess how the value must be
drawn (for ex in G7#5, 7#5 is superscripted). In D-7b5/G, -7b5 is
superscripted and /G is less or more placed under D-7b5.

At last, detailing the separate notes on each chordDef is somehow useless
in Jazz as there are some 33 different possible chords for each root note
(D-7b5 is D’s half-diminished chord). But I can quite understand that this
feature may have its use in different situations, so it's not the main
point.

Hoping that my questions are clear…

Thanks