[MEI-L] Tools for encoding in MEI

David Lewis D.Lewis at gold.ac.uk
Fri Mar 22 16:50:03 CET 2019

Hi Zayne,

This sounds like a really interesting project, and it’s really great that you’re working with MEI for it.

I’ve started using Atom with the Verovio plugin for hand-editing MEI. It’s a bit slow and clunky, but it’s not bad.

I’d also note that sometimes – especially for more complex scores – there’s a weirdly cumbersome process of exporting as MusicXML and then either converting that (for instance on the Verovio website) or (deep breath) loading the MusicXML into MuseScore, exporting as MusicXML AGAIN, then converting the results. MuseScore seems to regularise the MusicXML a little, which can help especially for slur positions and other graphical elements.

Best,

David