[MEI-L] Tools for encoding in MEI

Richard Freedman rfreedma at haverford.edu
Fri Mar 22 14:52:21 CET 2019

Zayne,

As part of The Lost Voices Project
<http://digitalduchemin.org/piece/DC0221/>, we developed a set of routines
for doing this sort of post-processing of MEI files using various Python
scripts.

Read more here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgpk2xx960tsd1o/Sibelius_2_Mei_Example_9_9_2014.pdf?dl=0>
and here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y70if6mbhfmnqk/MEIMassasing_Documentation.docx?dl=0>
.

You could adapt these for your own use (the scripts are modular, and you
could use/ignore any that are not relevant).  Lost Voices uses VexFlow as
the rendering engine.  Verovio (which was not available at the time)  is
much better in many respects, and we are now using it in the Citations
Project <https://dev.crimproject.org/relationships/145/>.

Richard

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 9:32 AM Zayne Upton <zayne at zayne.co.za> wrote:

> I'm currently part of a research group that is compiling digital critical
> editions of African composers. Some of the team members are using Sibelius
> to notate the music in staff notation and I'm then using SibMEI to convert
> to MEI. The issue though is that the conversion is not completely accurate
> and I need to further edit the XML. What I'm struggling with is finding the
> best tools to do so. There is a plugin for Oxygen that I'm trying to get to
> work, but to no avail.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Zayne Upton

Richard Freedman
Professor of Music
John C. Whitehead '43 Professor of Humanities
Associate Provost for Curricular Development
Haverford College
Haverford, PA 19041

610-896-1007
610-896-4902 (fax)