[MEI-L] Audio Mostly Call for Contributions

Axel Berndt berndt at hfm-detmold.de
Mon Mar 18 14:51:51 CET 2019

Dear all,

as a member of the Audio Mostly steering committee I would like to make
you aware of this interdisciplinary conference that started in 2006. We
would love to open up towards the MEI community as there is already a
considerable overlap. In past years Audio Mostly (AM) has been a perfect
place for bringing together different disciplines from academia and
industry, theory and practice. We would love to have contributions from
the MEI community this year. Here comes the official CfP.

*Audio Mostly 2019: A Journey in Sound
*18th to 20th September 2019
University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
www.audiomostly.com <http://www.audiomostly.com>

*AUDIO MOSTLY 2019
*Audio Mostly is an audio focused interdisciplinary conference on
design, interacting with sound and technology, which embraces applied
theory and practice-based research.

It is an annual conference which brings together thinkers and doers from
academia and industry who share an interest in sonic interaction and the
use of audio for interface design. This remit covers product design,
auditory displays, computer games and virtual environments, new digital
musical instruments, educational applications and workplace tools, /as
well as the topics listed below/. It further includes fields such as the
psychology of sound and music, cultural studies, systems engineering,
and everything in between in which sonic Human-Computer Interaction
plays a role.

Audio Mostly 2019 will be an inclusive event for all, bringing together
a whole range of people and communities. It will be a lively and
sociable mix of oral and poster paper presentations, demos, and
workshops. We welcome submissions from industry, academia and interested
parties in each of these categories.

As in previous years, the Audio Mostly 2019 proceedings will be
published by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
<https://www.acm.org/> (/to be confirmed/) and made available through
their digital library <https://dl.acm.org/>. Regular papers, posters and
demos/installations will be double-blind peer reviewed. It is envisaged
that there will be a special issue of a journal relating to the
conference, as with previous years.

*CONFERENCE THEME*

The special theme for the conference this year is A Journey in Sound and
we would particularly welcome papers relating to this theme for at the
conference this year. We often have different experiences of sound and
music though out our lives, there are sounds that remind us of different
places and people. We also have different playlists and songs that take
us back and remind us of certain times and events. Throughout our lives
we are interacting with sounds and music, we are on a journey in sound.
This year the theme of the conference is open to interpretation, but
people might think about the following, in relation to the theme:

  *

    /Sonic aspects of digital stories, documentaries and archives/

  *

    /The soundtrack to our lives. Archiving and sharing sound /

  *

    /The emotional potential of a sound, how might this be used to
    support interaction/

  *

    /The different uses of music across different settings/

  *

    /The re-use of recollections and memories by composers & sound
    designers/

  *

    /The development of musical tools that can let us express our
    experiences over time /

  *

    /Socio-technical uses of AI create highly personalised soundtracks
    that respond to one’s context/

  *

    /Adaptive music use in journeys, time and the creative use of data/

  Audio Mostly 2019 encourages the submission of regular papers
(oral/poster presentation) addressing such questions and others related
to the conference theme and the topics presented below.

*LIST OF TOPICS
*The Audio Mostly conference series is interested in sound /Interaction
Design & Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) /in general. The conference
provides a space to reflect on the role of sound/music in our lives and
how to understand, develop and design systems which relate to sound and
music – we are particularly interested in this from a broad HCI
perspective. We encourage original regular papers (oral/poster
presentation) addressing the conference theme or other topics from the
list provided below. We welcome multidisciplinary approaches involving
fields such as music informatics, information and communication
technologies, sound design, music performance, visualisation,
composition, perception/cognition and aesthetics.

• Accessibility
• Aesthetics
• Affective computing applied to sound/music
• AI, HCI and Music
• Acoustics and Psychoacoustics
• Auditory display and sonification
• Augmented and virtual reality with or for sound and music
• Computational musicology
• Critical approaches to interaction, design and sound
• Digital augmentation (e.g. musical instruments, stage, studio,
audiences, performers, objects)
• Digital music libraries
• Ethnographic studies
• Game audio and music
• Gestural interaction with sound or music
• Immersive and spatial audio
• Interactive sonic arts and artworks
• Intelligent music tutoring systems
• Interfaces for audio engineering and post-production
• Interfaces or synthesis models for sound design
• Live performing arts
• Music information retrieval & Interaction
• Musical Human-Computer Interaction
• New methods for the evaluation of user experiences of sound and music
• Participatory and co-design methodologies with or for audio
• Philosophical or sociological reflections on Audio Mostly related topics
• Psychology, cognition, perception
• Semantic web music technologies
• Spatial audio, interaction design and ambisonics
• Sonic interaction design
• Sound and image interaction: from production to perception
• Sound and soundscape studies

*SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS *
Regular paper, poster, demo and workshop contributions must be submitted
via the EasyChair Audio Mostly 2019 submission portal
<https://audiomostly.com/easychair.org/conferences/?conf=am2019>.

All Audio Mostly 2018 papers should be submitted using the 2017 ACM
Master Article Template
<http://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template> specified below
for your contribution. Authors should use the ACM Computing
Classification System (CCS) <http://www.acm.org/publications/class-2012>
to provide the proper indexing information in their papers (see
instructions on the 2017 ACM Master Article Template
<http://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template> page). All papers
must be submitted in the PDF format.

*Call for Papers & Posters * <https://audiomostly.com/2019/call/cfp/>

*IMPORTANT DATES *

*(Papers & Posters) *
Deadline for Submissions: *24*^*th* *May 2019*
Notification of Acceptance: *14*^*th* *June 2019*
Camera-ready submissions: 9^th August 2019
Early Registration Deadline: 10^th August 2019
Conference: 18 – 20 September 2019

*
Call for Workshops <https://audiomostly.com/2019/call/cfw/> *

*IMPORTANT DATES (Workshops)*
Deadline for Submissions: *24*^*th* *May 2019*
Notification of Acceptance: *14*^*th* *June 2019
*Workshops: 17^th September 2019

*Call for Demos <https://audiomostly.eu/2019/call/cfd/> *

*IMPORTANT DATES (Demos & Installations) *
Deadline for Submissions: *1*^*st * *July 2019*
Notification of Acceptance: *15*^*th* *July 2019*

Submission Deadline: *22^st July 2019*

*Submission Site*

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=am2019

*LOCATION*
This year, the conference is hosted by the Mixed Reality Lab
<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/mixedrealitylab/index.aspx>
(in the School of Computer Science) and the Department of Music
<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/humanities/departments/music/> at the
University of Nottingham – The conference will be located on the
University Park
<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/campuses/universityparkcampus.aspx>

The University Park is The University of Nottingham’s largest campus at
300 acres. Part of the University since 1929, the campus is widely
regarded as one of the largest and most attractive in the country. Set
in extensive greenery and around a lake, University Park is the focus of
life for students, staff and visitors. Conveniently located only two
miles from the city centre. The campus is well connected, the nearest
airport is the East Midlands Airport
<https://www.eastmidlandsairport.com/>, local train stations are
Nottingham, and Beeston.

For more information on the location, transport links and general
information see the link below:
Getting here – Maps and Directions
<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/visitorinformation/information.aspx>

---

Best wishes, Axel

--

Dr.-Ing. Axel Berndt

Phone: +49 (0) 5231 / 975 874
Web: http://www.cemfi.de/people/axel-berndt

Center of Music and Film Informatics
Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences
Detmold University of Music

Hornsche Strasse 44, 32756 Detmold, Germany