[MEI-L] MEC 2018 - Thank you!

Raffaele Viglianti raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com
Tue May 29 18:28:18 CEST 2018

Dear MEI-L

Many thanks to those of you who attended the Music Encoding Conference 2018
at the University of Maryland last week! Your contributions and attendance
are what made it all possible.

It was four busy days in College Park. We enjoyed having you all here and I
hope some of you had a chance to explore downtown Washington DC. It was
good to see that the proximity to DC meant that we had some attendees from
the capital’s cultural institutions such as the National Public Radio and
the Library of Congress.

The theme “Encoding and Performance” was well represented throughout the
conference. We are particularly grateful to John Rink for his keynote
lecture-recital  “(Not) Beyond the Score: Decoding Musical Performance,”
which highlighted the challenges of encoding/decoding music notation
through the lens of performance research and practice.

We are also particularly grateful to Anna Kijas who, in her keynote speech
“What does the data tell us?: Representation, Canon, and Music Encoding,”
highlighted critical topics of that are too often neglected in our
community. Her talk made the fundamental point that our acts of building
digital representations of notated music can (and currently do) reinforce
traditional canons of music history that overlook contributions by women
and people of color. In establishing a “digital canon” we have an
unprecedented opportunity to change this.

We closed MEC with a productive “unconference” day and we are happy to
already see some activity on the mailing list as a result!

Many thanks have been given throughout the conference days; however, we are
truly grateful to the University of Maryland School of Arts and Humanities
and the MEI Board for having sponsored bursaries for students to attend the
conference in a place that is currently geographically distant from the
core constituencies of the MEI community. We are also thankful to Tido for
sponsoring the Wednesday reception and particularly to soprano Tory Wood
and Tido’s founder and director Brad Cohen for a wonderful live performance.

Finally, we look forward to the 2019 conference in Vienna and we hope to
see you all there!

Best wishes.

Raff Viglianti on behalf of the MEC2018 conference organizers.