[MEI-L] Encoding of lyrics under a rest

Agnes Seipelt aseipelt at mail.uni-paderborn.de
Tue Mar 6 14:12:57 CET 2018

Dear MEI community,

I hope that someone can help me with an encoding probIem. In the manuscript there are lyrics under a rest (that is obviously a mistake because the text is also crossed out). You can see it in the screenshot.

I use MEI-CMN (and also tried MEI-all), rests cannot contain lyrics or verse, the only solution would be to integrate lyrics in a del-element within a rest:

<rest dur="4">
                   <del>
                        <lyrics>
                             <verse/>
                          </lyrics>
                     </del>
               </rest>

In this case the lyrics are deleted so this would be a solution. But I think it is “tag-abuse” because the del-element is necessary to validate the document.

Another idea is to encode the lyrics as control event within the measure:

…

</staff>
                   <lyrics synch="xy">
                        <verse>
                             <syl/>
                         </verse>
                    </lyrics>

Unfortunately, there is no attribute like @tstamp or @startid to point to the element the lyrics are related to. There is only @synch that “points to elements that are synchronous with the current element”.  But I think this would also be “tag-abuse”.

Does somebody have an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

 Agnes

-----

Agnes Seipelt M.A.
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin
Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar Detmold/Paderborn
FORUM Wissenschaft | Bibliothek | Musik
Hornsche Str. 39  32756 Detmold
Tel. +49 5231 975677