[MEI-L] Coordinate system confusion

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 20:38:07 CEST 2017

Hello Martha,

On 4 July 2017 at 18:40, Martha Thomae <thomaemartha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to intrude, but when reading this a question popped into my head.
> Is it possible to use @vo or another attribute to change the line in which
> a <rest> lies? This will help me with something I am working on.

In theory rest at vo should work, but testing in verovio it does not seem to
be supported.  You will probably instead want to use rest at ploc and rest at oloc,
which work in verovio.  @ploc is the pitch-class position of the rest on
the staff, and @oloc is the octave of the pitch-class position.

Example MEI data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-model href="http://music-encoding.org/schema/4.0.0/mei-all.rng"
type="application/xml" schematypens="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"?>
<?xml-model href="http://music-encoding.org/schema/4.0.0/mei-all.rng"
type="application/xml" schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>
<mei xmlns="http://www.music-encoding.org/ns/mei" meiversion="4.0.0">
    <meiHead>
        <fileDesc>
            <titleStmt>
                <title />
            </titleStmt>
            <pubStmt />
        </fileDesc>
    </meiHead>
    <music>
            <mdiv>
                <score>
                    <scoreDef>
                        <staffGrp>
                            <staffDef clef.shape="G" clef.line="2"
meter.count="4" meter.unit="4" n="1" lines="5" />
                        </staffGrp>
                    </scoreDef>
                    <section>
                        <measure>
                            <staff n="1">
                                <layer n="1">
                                    <note dur="4" oct="4" pname="b"
accid.ges="n" />
                                    <rest dur="4" ploc="c" oloc="6" />
                                    <note dur="4" oct="4" pname="b"
accid.ges="n" />
                                    <note dur="4" oct="5" pname="b"
accid.ges="n" />
                                </layer>
                                <layer n="2">
                                    <note dur="4" oct="4" pname="e"
accid.ges="n" />
                                    <note dur="4" oct="5" pname="e"
accid.ges="n" />
                                    <note dur="2" oct="4" pname="f"
accid.ges="n" />
                                </layer>
                            </staff>
                        </measure>
                    </section>
                </score>
            </mdiv>
    </music>
</mei>

Rendering in verovio:

[image: Inline images 1]

In other words, the rest is placed at the position C6 (@ploc="c" @oloc="6").

Usually you would use rest adjustments in this sort of situation (multiple
layers of music), so specifying the pitch of the rest position will allow
for a change of clef or transposition to handle the new placement of the
rest correctly (@vo would not work in such cases).

-=+Craig