[MEI-L] Coordinate system confusion

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Tue Jul 4 15:28:48 CEST 2017

Dear Daniel,

that's a real confusion, and we need to make it clearer in the guidelines. *Pixel* coordinates are always with the origin in the top left corner. *Music* coordinates, however, are always bottom up. @ulx and so on are always in pixel units, but @vo (vertical offset) is specified in interline distances (half the distance between two staff lines, or, in other words, the vertical distance between a C4 and a D4, or any other two adjacent notes). If you want to specify that a dynamic is written above its default position, it seems more natural that values go up (i.e., @vo="3"). This means that for musical units the origin has to be bottom left. I know it's confusing in the guidelines, and we will address this at some point. If you don't mind, you're invited to prepare something on Git and submit a pull request ;-)

Hope this helps,
jo