[MEI-L] critical commentary

Karen Desmond kdesmond at brandeis.edu
Wed Apr 12 15:48:19 CEST 2017

Thanks Perry - that's really helpful actually.
You're right that most of this information belongs elsewhere, and will
eventually end up there, but the <extMeta> suggestion will work for me for
a temporary solution.
All the best,
Karen

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) <
pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

> Hi Karen,
>

> It's somewhat abusive, since there are better places to put most of this
> stuff, but you could use <projectDesc> --
>

> <projectDesc>
>   <head>Mon chant/Qui doloreus</head>
> (Howes 3/24/2016), Rhythmic
>     durations augmented following our project’s transcription conventions.
> Pitches, rhythms and
>     mensural notation features checked and corrected against Iv (Desmond
> 4/10/17). Sources: Durham
>     (fol. 339r, triplum only), Iv (fols. 22v-23r); listed in Trem Previous
> editions: PMFC V, 80-3.
>     Note on the poems: Texts from PMFC; variants in Iv noted below
> (Desmond 4/10/17). Variants: The
>     copy text for this transcription is the version found in Iv. Clefs: c2
> c2 c4 Tr ‘1 en’ / 2
>     ‘beus’ / 4 ‘mesonches’ / 8 c1 clef / 9 ‘mons’ / 22 ‘des’ supplied by
> PMFC / 26 ’ne’ written
>     twice in Iv / 32 ‘ destre namer’ / 39 ‘que je aour’ Mot 61 no dot in
> Iv / 141 no dot in Iv / 16
>     ‘sens’ / 19 ‘maint’ supplied by PMFC / 34 ‘por nous’ ‘cui’ / 37
> ‘Orec’</p>
> </projectDesc>
>

> But, I think <extMeta>, the official place for "other well-formed XML",
> would be a better choice.
>

> You can put HTML there, which might be helpful if you're going to display
> this text on the web anyway --
>

> <extMeta>

>     <h1>Mon chant/Qui doloreus</h1>
>
>     <h2>Notes on transcription process:</h2>

> durations augmented following
>
>       our project’s transcription conventions. Pitches, rhythms and
> mensural notation features
>
>       checked and corrected against Iv (Desmond 4/10/17).</p>
>
>     <h2>Sources:</h2>

> Trem</p>
>
>     <h2>Previous editions:</h2>

>     <h2>Note on the poems:</h2>

>     <h2>Variants:</h2>

>     <h2>Clefs:</h2>

> ‘mons’ / 22 ‘des’ supplied by
>
>       PMFC / 26 ’ne’ written twice in Iv / 32 ‘ destre namer’ / 39 ‘que je
> aour’ Mot 61 no dot in Iv
>
>       / 141 no dot in Iv / 16 ‘sens’ / 19 ‘maint’ supplied by PMFC / 34
> ‘por nous’ ‘cui’ / 37
>
>       ‘Orec’</p>

> </extMeta>
>

> or something else with a structure of your choosing --
>

> <karenStuff xmlns="karen.desmond.info">[Karen's Own Well-formed
> XML]</karenStuff>
>

> Beware!  MEI will choke if the children of <extMeta> (<html> or
> <karenStuff> in these examples) don't have an xmlns attribute.  But, the
> namespace doesn't have to be a real one.  It can even be the "no-namespace"
> namespace --
>

> <karenStuff xmlns="">[...]</karenStuff>
>

> that is, where @xmlns has an empty value.
>

> You should also lose the so-called "smart" quotes.  They're not very smart
> and they don't play nice with others. ;-)
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> --
>
> p.

Karen Desmond, Assistant Professor of Music
Department of Music, Brandeis University
http://www.arsmusicae.org/wordpress