[MEI-L] sounding vs. written pitch, <octave>

Thomas Weber tw at notabit.eu
Wed Mar 15 16:39:51 CET 2017

Am 15.03.2017 um 15:49 schrieb Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h):

> <note
>       pname="c" oct="4"
>       pname.ges="b" accid.ges="f" oct.ges="5"/>
>
> In other words, where @oct.ges reflects the octave shift?

Glad you asked, because now I can brag about how well-chosen my example was ;-).  The gestural pitch should be a minor seventh higher than the written pitch (because of <octave>).  But how you encode it, it's a fourteenth higher.  This means, for some pitches, you'd end up with a different values in @oct and @oct.ges (for Bb Instruments, that's all pnames except for c), in some you don't.