[MEI-L] sounding vs. written pitch, <octave>

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 15 14:49:35 CET 2017

On Mar 15, 2017, at 6:39 AM, Thomas Weber <tw at notabit.eu> wrote:

> Am 15.03.2017 um 02:09 schrieb Byrd, Donald A.:
>> It seems clear that addressing scordatura at a higher level than the note requires grouping notes by the string they're to be played on, something like @string="G", as well as saying -- maybe in the staffDef -- how each string transposes.
>>
>> How about timpani parts like the ones my "Written Vs. Sounding Pitch" article discusses, including Beethoven's Third and Fourth?  [...] The best way to handle this might be to somehow say in the staffDef that all B's sound as B-flats.
>

> I think that instead of trying to find special purpose solutions for all the different cases, it would be useful to have a general way of distinguishing
>
> 	•  "naive" written pitch (as if one didn't know about scordatura, harmonics, ottava, horn/timpany conventions etc.)
> 	•  logical pitch (ignoring instrument transposition)
> 	•  sounding pitch
>
> For 1., @pname/@oct/@occid/<accid> could be used just the way the are apprently used right now.  For 3., according to Perry, @pname.ges/@oct.ges/@accid.ges are the go to attributes:

Of course general solutions are better than specific ones. I was responding to an earlier comment of Perry's about the desirability of having a "higher level? way of encoding scordatura, etc. Let's say you encode the Biber violin sonata with scordatura so extreme the pitches of the open strings aren't even in order, but you don't realize that until later. Or maybe it's unclear what the intended tuning is, or (more likely) what string a given note is to be played on! It'd be nice to be able to describe the transposition of the A string in one place, not on every note that's played on the A string.

--DAB