[MEI-L] @loc vs. @pname (and @oct); sounding vs. written pitch

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Sun Mar 12 04:16:05 CET 2017

Good point. Surely differing sounding and written pitches aren't a problem in themselves; we have trans.diat and trans.semi to handle piccolo, clarinet, saxophone, horn, trumpet, etc.! But harmonics (both natural and artificial) and especially scordatura, where different notes of a chord might have different transpositions, are more difficult. The word "scordatura" does not seem to appear in the 3.0.0 Guidelines, which makes me wonder.

My article, "Written vs. Sounding Pitch" (available at http://homes.soic.indiana.edu/donbyrd/Papers/WrittenVsSoundingPitch.pdf) describes 16 more-or-less nasty situations. It's not obvious to me what the implications are for @loc, @pname, @oloc, etc., but I'll bet there are some :-) .

--DAB