[MEI-L] Annotations visible on the music and arbitrary segmentation

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 7 02:08:58 CET 2017

Hi, All,

Sorry: this message flew away mid-sentence.  Here is the complete version:

This topic has so many ramifications that I think it might be worth an ad hoc meeting in Tours to catalog its known aspects.  It would be a reasonable goal to try to accommodate any arrangement that is currently supported by existing digital approaches.  Otherwise we lose the possibility of interchange with them.

To mention a few examples:

(1) CMME (cmme.org) has a toggle for "cluster" text, synchronized with the music in whatever way it is presented in the source (Attachment);

(2) The one case I know of in which EsAC (Essen associative code) hit an impasse was in arranging Polish lyrics to monophonic folksongs.  EsAC assumes a note:lyrics ratio in which multiple syllables never have to be set to one note, but this need is common to other repertories including liturgical music. I workaround was devised but it was not transportable.

In the polyphonic context, we have done some typesetting here (typically with SCORE) where multilingual versions of lyrics are given in Roman and non-Roman alphabets, and also with lyrics that exist in current and earlier versions of an alphabet.

The most interesting question on encoding we have run across in this realm came from a German musicologist who wanted to recreate Turkish versions of Calvinist hymns.  This brought up the problem of integrating conventional notation (left to right) with textual traditions read right-to-left.  (This kind of thing was printable in the analog age but takes a lot of planning in the digital one.)  This is outside the scope of MEI at present, but in a listing of situations that could occur in the future, it is worth a thought.

Best regards,

Eleanor