[MEI-L] Annotations visible on the music and arbitrary segmentation

Daniel Alles DanielAlles at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Mar 6 08:57:55 CET 2017

Dear all,

I think one of the problems (at least one of my problems while
encoding MN) is the spacing of the lyrics. It is not always clear,
which syllable belongs where, so a connection of syllables to notes is
not always given. The possibility to encode the lyrics separately and
then attach them to a staff seems unlikely too, as the syllables would
be spaced according to the rhythm off the staff (the lyrics would only
appear at the beginning of the staff, as there normally are more notes
then syllables).

A possibility to connect not only syllables but also whole phrases of
text to phrases of notes would be really nice; something like "this
text starts on that note and ends on that note". As it is not clear in
all the cases how the underlayed text is to be sung and therefore a
spacing of the lyrics would be an editorial intervention, a solution
like @startid and @endid (or something else) would at least represent
the source material the best.

Best,
Daniel