[MEI-L] Problems encoding CMN

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 26 22:57:10 CET 2017

Hi Daniel,

You've (perhaps unknowingly) stumbled on one of the core tenets of MEI -- the separation of the semantic and the symbol.

In MEI, you wouldn't encode the brackets; you would rather encode the function of the brackets, and leave it to a renderer to deal with adding the brackets around it.

There are many 'semantic' places where you may see a bracket ('semantic' here is in reference to the function of the encoding in describing intent, rather than describing appearance). You could, for example, use elements such as 'supplied,' 'sic/corr', or 'orig/reg' to describe why the accidental should be drawn in brackets in an MEI-aware renderer.

The same applies to your ligature question. You wouldn't place a line above a staff in MEI to indicate a ligature; you would instead find a way to encode the grouping of these notes into a ligature. It will then be up to the renderer to display that with a line above.

-Andrew