[MEI-L] Sample encoding of mensural notation

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 00:55:30 CET 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 15:02, Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) <
pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

> They also don't validate against the latest version of MEI.  :-(

If an XML file specifies one version of a DTD/schema, then how it is
magically supposed to validate against another version, unless the newer
version is backwards compatible with the older version?  In any case I am
on strike at Stanford this year, so updating JRP scores to the most recent
schema won't be happening anytime soon, even though it would only take me 5
minutes to do so.

But as Perry says, these scores are encoded in modern notation, although
they do have mensural features, such as mensural signs and preservation of
original rhythmic levels (breve, semi-breve, etc).  Ligature groupings are
one feature that is not encoded.

-=+Craig