[MEI-L] Sample encoding of mensural notation

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 13 23:55:05 CET 2017

Hi, Daniel,

There are hundreds of examples of the MEI encodings of mensural notation at the Josquin Research Project (http://jrp.stanford.edu).  The data here does not originate as MEI, so the examples are a little artificial.  Nonetheless, the encodings provide a simple model of what this kind of notation looks like in MEI.  I looked at Dufay (http://josquin.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/jrp?a=mei&f=Duf3007.2) as an arbitrary choice.  (The display currently comes from MuseData.)  Here is Josquin’s Miserere: http://josquin.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/jrp?a=mei&f=Jos1803.

Best regards,

Eleanor Selfridge-Field
Braun Music Center #130
Stanford University