[MEI-L] accid/@ploc/@oloc vs. keyAccid/@pname/@oct

Anna Plaksin annplaksin at gmx.net
Thu Dec 1 09:32:08 CET 2016

There are also cases in mensural notation, where an accidental is not on the
same position as the following note and also not applied to that note but to
the next one, see for example here (first system of Kyrie or second system
of Gloria):
http://archiv.onb.ac.at:1801/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=200&dvs=14805787
75920~129
Therefor it is necessary to use accidentals as independent elements in the
layer and in consequence it is necessary to give them any information about
its position.
When I try to compare Donald's and my example, it starts to get really
complex to me: In Donald's example is the visual position independent from
the logical relation. In my example, in the case I'm not totally mistake it,
the visual position is a hint for the logical relation. So, the use of @oloc
and @ploc is clear in Donald's example, whereas my example theoretically
could be also done in both ways, depending on other encoding decisions.

But it seemed always quite consistent to me using @oloc and @ploc, because
an accidental has no pitch but points on a pitch because of its position, I
was rather wondering about @pname and @oct in <keyAccid>.

And unfortunately, my two cents confused me even more than making it clear.
Maybe anyone else could ease my confusion... (thanks in advance)

Anna