[MEI-L] Encoding quarter tones

Sylvaine Leblond Martin sylvaineleblondmartin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:18:15 CET 2016

Dear Andrew, dear Johannes,

It is very ok this way of writing 1/4flat and 1/4sharp. Very interesting.

But, what do we do in the case  that we want to write down the accidentals
at the beginning of the score, that it is pursued the full score. And, in
plus, when it is not appearing in the normal order.

For example:

   1. not sib, mib but *mi1/4flat* followed by *sib* (first case) ;
   2.  *fa1/4sharp*, *si1/4flat*, *do1/4sharp* (2nd case),

 like in the score that I send you.  How would you write it? Or where in
MEI Guide book is it told?

This is my first question.

My second question is that:  if we intend to add "new elements" in MEI and
want to tell this to  the MEI community because we work with computer
scientists developers of the Antonine University in Liban, how do we tell
the MEI's community about the differences we want to include in a schema?

Thank you very much to give us an answer how we do it.

Very cordially,

Sylvaine

Le 28 octobre 2016 à 07:07, Andrew Hankinson <
andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca> a écrit :

> Dear Sylvaine and Talar,
>
> You could have a look at the `accid` values 'qf' and 'qs':
>
> <note pname='e' accid='qf' />
>
> Or:
>
> <note pname='e'>
>    <accid accid='qf' />
> </note>
>
> For all the potential values, see: http://music-encoding.
> org/documentation/3.0.0/data.ACCIDENTAL.EXPLICIT/
>
> -Andrew
>

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 6:59 AM, Sylvaine Leblond Martin <
> sylvaineleblondmartin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> My colleague in MEI, Talar Atechian, Associate Professor at Antonine
> University at the Faculty of Engineering,  and I were wondering if anyone
> has encoded 1/4 tones such as 1/4 sharp  and 1/4 flat using the MEI
> standard?
>
> If so, can you, please, provide us the sample of the used tags.
>
> Thank you !
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sylvaine and Talar
>
> --
> Sylvaine Leblond Martin
> Compositrice
> Doctoreure en Sciences de l'information et de la communication
> Membre de la Chaire Unesco ITEN "Innovations, Transmissions, Editions
> Numériques"
> Initiatrice du projet MEI Æ NORMA - MEI, Auralités Et Nouvelles ORalités
> des Musiques Actuelles
> Chercheure post-doctorante à la MSH Paris Nord
>
> 20 avenue George Sand
> 93210 La Plaine Saint-Denis
> Bu.: 226
> Tél. bu.: 01 55 93 93 56
>
> Cell. 06.95.92.76.79
> Tél. dom.: 09 51 97 67 59
>
> "La musique, c'est ce qu'on écoute avec l'intention d'écouter de la
> musique." *Luciano Berio* -
>
> "La langue n'est pas enracinée dans un peuple. Une langue, ça n'appartient
> à personne, on l'aime à travers ses oeuvres et non parce que c'est la
> forteresse d'une nation" *Hannah Arendt -*

Sylvaine Leblond Martin
Compositrice
Docteure en Sciences de l'information et de la communication