[MEI-L] Associating MEI <facsimile> with an image manifest, not an image itself

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Oct 18 17:17:59 CEST 2016

Alternatively, @xml:base "[p]rovides a base URI reference with which applications can resolve relative URI references into absolute URI references."  I think this is a better approach than contorting @authURI and @codedval.

In the following example,

<facsimile xml:base="path/to/manifest.json">

  <surface label="fol 3v">

    <graphic target="#page17" type="iiif"/>

  </surface>

</facsimile>

the absolute URI for the graphic is the concatenation of the value of facsimile/@xml:base and @target; e.g.,  "path/to/manifest.json#page17".  See https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/ for more details.

But, this method is designed for addressing XML fragments.  Perhaps JsonPath (http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/index.html) might be a good thing to investigate.  If XPath or JsonPath (http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/index.html) is employed, I believe the markup should include an indication of the addressing scheme, e.g.,

<facsimile xml:base="path/to/manifest.json" type="iiif">

  <surface label="fol 3v">

    <graphic target="#jsonpath(INSERT JSONPATH EXPRESSION HERE)"/>

  </surface>

</facsimile>

Notice also that @type has been moved from <graphic> to <facsimile>.  @type will be allowed universally in the next revision.