[MEI-L] MEI Customisation

James Ingram j.ingram at netcologne.de
Mon May 30 14:51:19 CEST 2016

Hi, Andrew,  Laurent, Johannes, all,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, but I've been away for the
last couple of days.

First, I owe the list (and Andrew in particular) an apology: I was so
excited at having discovered MEI and its customizability, that I forgot
to introduce myself. I even managed to delete my signature links! No
wonder Andrew was a little taken aback! Andrew: Thanks for our private
exchange, I hope the following helps you, and everyone else here, to
understand my position better.
Also, apologies for my sometimes less than academic language style. I'm
coming from another world, and sometimes find it difficult not to sound
flippant. I've been trying to get this penny to drop in the academic and
software worlds for more than 30 years... Enough said. I forgive you
all! :-))

I've copied the complete replies to my original posting below. I'll
reply to Johannes' and Laurent's postings in that order. My reply to
Andrew's public posting is implicit.

Johannes said:
> JK: I believe that your definition is clearly outside of CMN as
> perceived and utilized by composers such as Bach, Beethoven, Bizet,
> Busoni or Borodin.
That's not quite right.
What I really think is that MEI has inherited the /neo/-classical
interpretation of CWMN used by composers like Stravinsky during the
first half of the 20th century. Stravinsky, and other neo-classical
composers had no choice but to go back to using well defined tempi. They
were trying to avoid the notational chaos left by late Romanticism (in
which performance practice can no longer be described in terms of fixed
tempi).

It seems a bit daring to include Bach in your list of composers who use
CWN! Did he use metronome marks? Nested tuplets? What about his use of
"dotted eighth" + "sixteenth" adding up to three "eighths"? Baroque
ornaments? Curvy beams... :-)
I think you are over-simplifying by leaving out the composers who don't
fit your model. What about Chopin, Wagner, Bruckner, Debussy? These are
composers for whom living traditions of performance practice are more
important than what's on the paper -- though they do, of course, try to
be logical within their 19th century context.
In the 19th century, it was assumed that there are spatial and temporal
ethers. Tempo is the 19th century's temporal ether. (There are also good
commercial reasons for the rise of the metronome in the 19th century.)
There is, however, no such thing as a temporal ether, (tempo is /not/
fundamental) so the notation conventions eventually collapsed (at about
the same time as the concept of a spatial ether).

> JK: Technically speaking, you seem to overload the definition of CWMN
> in order to make it "broad" enough for covering your approach.
That's also not quite right.
A tempo-less customization of MEI should be regarded as a strict,
formal, (even academic) exercise, that has no /necessary/ relation to
CWMN at all.

And I am /not/ just trying to be different. This is /not/ just my
private problem -- though I've been working on it since I was a student.
The notation of tempo-less music is the central problem that that was
left for future generations to solve when the/Avant Garde/ gave up on
their notational experiments in 1970. You are all ignoring 20th century
music history! :-)

I'm using CWMN symbols in my projects because they are the most
advanced, most /legible/ set of such symbols available. But, in
principle, I could use any other glyphs or glyph combinations. The
/Avant-Garde/'s assumption that CWMN symbols have to be reserved for
"precisely defined" music (i.e. music having no performance-practice
tradition), and that a completely different notation (or set of symbols)
has to be invented for other kinds of music, comes from neo-classicism,
and is simply wrong. Staves, clefs and chord symbols are also used in
pre-classical music.

When this tempo-less notation has been defined, we can see if there are
any consequences for the full CWMN customization. I suspect, of course,
that a MEI customization that can deal with arbitrary durations, could
be easily adapted for using the restricted set of duration proportions
available in (metronomic) CWMN. Tuplets, grace-notes etc. will have to
be treated differently than they are at present, but I see no
fundamental obstacles to giving them strict, verifiable definitions
related to default, metronomically defined, performances.

I also think that the existence of a tempo-less customization would have
consequences for the other kinds of notation defined by MEI. Since the
glyphs or glyph combinations can be freely chosen, neumes are also in scope.

Note that this proposal allows /multiple interpretations/ of the symbols
to be stored, quite independently of the glyphs or glyph combinations in
use. It enables the storing of performance practice traditions.
Currently, this is being done outside scores, using separate,
unsynchronized recordings. Opera singers currently learn their parts by
listening to CDs. The revival of performance practice traditions for
Ancient Music would never have happened without the use of /recordings/.
I'd like to enable something similar for New Music /that has not yet
been performed/. I want to be able to write new music that /breathes/.
Listen to the score, and imitate... using the symbols as an /aide
memoire/... that's what they have /always/ been for...

Laurent said:
> LP: Let me take the opportunity to clarify the role of customizations
> in MEI, which are very flexible as with many other things in MEI. One
> possible use is for restricting MEI to a subset. This is achieved with
> the Tido's customization, which acts as an application profile. It is
> also the goal of the MEI Go! (or whatever it will be called) where we
> would like to define the most essential components we need for
> facilitating data exchange between projects.
I still don't really understand what MEI Go! is for, or whether it
really has anything to do with my project.
> Now, the good news for you is that customization can also be used for
> uncommon notation features, which is what it seems you would like to do.
As I said above, I don't think this is just my private problem.
> This can also be used for correcting what you think is a mistake in
> MEI. The other good news is that you do not need to convince everybody
> on the list to do so. You can do it on your own.
Or I only need to convince one person who knows MEI inside-out to do it!
I'm very willing and able to follow what that person would be doing (and
pointing out any problems that I see arising), but I don't think I
should be the person in charge. This might look as if I'm chickening
out, but here are my reasons:
1. I'm currently working on a new piece for the web, in which I want to
try out some new, advanced data structures that are the beginnings of
"harmony and counterpoint" in tempo-less music. Yes, I compose
experimental music... :-)
2. Even if I took the time to learn how to customize MEI, it looks as if
I'm going to run into non-trivial problems setting up the framework. I
program using Visual Studio (latest Community edition) on Windows 10.
Visual Studio has advanced support for using schemas, so there shouldn't
be any problem there.
But https://github.com/music-encoding/music-encoding says that
"Building MEI requires the TEI Stylesheets. You should clone their git
repository, or download them in a packaged zip file",
and https://github.com/TEIC/Stylesheets says that its binaries will "run
on Linux, OS X or other Unix operating systems." I don't know if or how
I can compile the source code...
3. I don't really need the tempo-less MEI customization myself. I think
you need it more than I do.
4. There may well be consequences at a pretty deep level inside the MEI
code. Such consequences need to be dealt with by someone who knows the
code extremely well. I simply don't have that experience.
5. It would be really wonderful if someone else took up this challenge.
I'm pretty fed up with having to do everything myself. :-)

Any ideas?

All the best,
James

--
http://james-ingram-act-two.de
https://github.com/notator

Am 25.05.2016 um 23:08 schrieb Johannes Kepper:

> [...]
>> where we would like to define the most essential components we need
>> for facilitating data exchange between projects.
>>
>> Now, the good news for you is that customization can also be used for
>> uncommon notation features, which is what it seems you would like to
>> do. This can also be used for correcting what you think is a mistake
>> in MEI. The other good news is that you do not need to convince
>> everybody on the list to do so. You can do it on your own.
>> Eventually, if your proposal seems to be a good idea there is no
>> reason for not having it integrated in MEI.
>>
>> Best,
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Andrew Hankinson
>> <andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>>
>> AH: I'll try to respond inline below.
>>> JI: Hi Andrew, Zoltan, JI: Zoltan: thanks for your answers to this
>>> thread on the W3C CG list. This reply to Andrew (below) continues
>>> the thread here, so its also a reply to what you said.
>>> JI: Yes, that's one of the problems -- see below. :-)
>>> JI: The @dur attribute describes both the shape of the symbol and
>>> its meaning (the number of beats it represents in a <measure>).
>>> Beats mean tempo, and that's a problem if I'm trying to create a
>>> customisation that does without it. I want to separate the meaning
>>> of each duration symbol from its visual appearance by putting the
>>> temporal information in an enclosed element. Lets call the enclosed
>>> element <time>. Actually, I want (potentially) to have a list of
>>> <time> elements inside each duration symbol, each position in such
>>> lists containing the temporal information for a different
>>> performance of the piece.
>> AH: If you'll permit me a frank comment, it sounds like you have a
>> pretty good idea of your own encoding format, which is neither MEI
>> nor MNX. Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, it
>> is completely possible to separate visual identity from durational
>> identity in MEI. We use '<note>' and '<rest>' effectively as `time`
>> elements -- that is, elements that record the passing of time. One
>> records a pitch, the other records silence. Since @dur.ges accepts
>> absolute durations, it effectively acts exactly as you are expecting.
>> With the @headshape attribute you can precisely control the visual
>> appearance of the object, separate from its time. I believe in the
>> forthcoming release you can even use this to include a SMuFL codepoint.
>>> JI: [begin aside] The first <time> element would describe the
>>> symbol's default duration, which in MusicXML and MEI Go can be
>>> calculated from the tempo, ppq, logical value of @dur. etc. If used
>>> in CWMN, the <time> element would make all that tempo, ppq, logical
>>> value @dur.ges stuff redundant. Simplification is always a good
>>> idea! :-) Note that this strategy means that @dur's logical value
>>> and @dur.ges are both being treated as being in the same dimension
>>> (time). Pretending that att.duration.musical and
>>> att.duration.performed need to be treated differently is, I think, a