[MEI-L] Music Encoding Conference Wrapup

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon May 23 20:46:05 CEST 2016

Dear MEI Community,

From all of us here in Montreal, it was an honour and a pleasure to host the 2016 conference and we hope it was a valuable experience for everyone.

This year we had:
- 67 registered participants from 10 countries
- 11 student attendees
- 20 paper presentations and 12 poster presentations
- 2 keynote speakers, Julia Flanders and Richard Freedman
- 3 pre-conference workshops
- 3 Special Interest Group meetings (Neumes, Mensural, Metadata), with a number of other "gauging interest" meetings for further special interest groups.
 - a number of smaller project-based meetings on our Friday "unconference" day whose sizes ranged from 2-20 people.

Additionally, the public lecture and concert on Friday night, presented by Karen Desmond and VivaVoce, was well attended and perfectly captured the intersection our (somewhat) esoteric field of music encoding research and public engagement for a general audience.

Thank you again to Franz Kelnreiter and the program committee for putting together an engaging and diverse program. We are looking forward to seeing you all next year in Tours, France!

For the MEC 2016 organizing committee,
Andrew Hankinson
Ichiro Fujinaga