[MEI-L] Anacrusis measures

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Mar 1 22:33:26 CET 2016

Hi David, Eleanor, everyone,

The “measure 0” method Eleanor mentions seems to me to be inadequate in that it assumes so-called “pickup” measures always occur as the initial measure of a notated work.  I’m certainly no MusicXML expert, but I assume that every measure with this function would have to be labeled with @number=”0” , sometimes leading to more than one occurrence of a number-less measure and confusion over how to label measures.  To me, it seems better to divorce the indication of an under-full measure with its status as an anacrusis.  This allows for the possibility of a pickup measure anywhere, for instance, as Eleanor points out, leading into the next section of a work in sectional form.  Also, under-full measures can occur anywhere without assuming they’re some kind of anacrusis.

So, MEI provides a couple of attributes for encoding data in pickup measures.  First, the @metcon attribute can be used to indicate a relationship to the prevailing time signature.  On <measure> it takes a Boolean value, “true” if the measure conforms to the time signature, “false” if it does not.  Second, the @type attribute can be used to classify the measure using any convenient typology.  There is no standard set of values for @type, but “anacrusis” or “pickup” would be appropriate values, I think.  To me, “upbeat” works at a different level of granularity; that is, at the beat rather than the measure level, so I wouldn’t use it as a value for @type on measure.