[MEI-L] Instrument settings and tunings

Richard Lewis richard at rjlewis.me.uk
Tue Nov 24 16:51:57 CET 2015

Dear Axel,

Apologies for leaving this thread cold for so long.

We have some example encodings in our Github repository.

<https://github.com/TransformingMusicology/mei-tmus/blob/master/examples/italian.xml>
<https://github.com/TransformingMusicology/mei-tmus/blob/master/examples/baroque.xml>

The italian.xml example uses the <instrName> element. We haven't
specified what the @family attribute might contain and I'm not sure
now that I really had a specific use-case in mind when I included
it. I'm not aware that @code carries any specific semantics so it
doesn't, AFAICT, conflict with our (admittedly vague) @family.

The baroque.xml example actually conforms to an earlier version of the
schema for <instrDesc>! Although, it does have a more complete example
of <instrConfig>.

One thing to point out regarding our examples is that we're not
encoding information from the sources in our <instrConfig>. This is
actually information about musical practice which comes from scholarly
authorities. This is partly why, as we mentioned in our MEC paper,
we're interested in providing Linked Data versions of this kind of
<instrConfig> information (and tweaking our schema to allow that), so
that such non-source derived assertions can be backed up.

Best,
Richard

--
Richard Lewis