[MEI-L] MEI as XSD or DTD

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Fri Nov 13 14:48:58 CET 2015

> Am 13.11.2015 um 14:36 schrieb Andrew Hankinson <andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca>:
>
> For what it's worth, it's pretty easy to generate an XSD file directly from the MEI source using the TEI Stylesheets.
The TEI Stylesheets generate RelaxNG XML Syntax primarily and all other formats are created by calling external tools, e.g. trang. So, you have to take care that your input Relax does not make use of any Relax-specifc tweaks — otherwise the following transformations will fail.

Personally, I almost only use Relax but I’d strongly argue for keeping up the support for W3C schemas. DTDs are somewhat different and since MEI has not that history (and legacy data) as TEI has, I’d say: drop it. (TEI Council discusses this issue as well but hasn’t taken the step yet …)

Last not least, the TEI’s workaround for all sorts of messy content models is using schematron. Using schematron, the content models can be expressed in a simple, compliant way while all sorts of constraints can be enforced, as well.

Cheers
Pete