[MEI-L] list-related changes

Raffaele Viglianti raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:56:31 CET 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) <
pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

> MEI doesn’t mix declarative and procedural markup any more than TEI, does
> it?

When it comes to text encoding it does - I can't think of a procedural
element in TEI. If you can, let me know because it shouldn't be there.

> A reasonable mix is necessary for a general-use markup scheme.
> Furthermore, I don’t agree that what I’m proposing is procedural markup.
> Saying that an item in a list has a bullet or is marked with a Roman
> numeral isn’t procedural in nature, it’s descriptive.  It’s just as
> descriptive as using <title>War and Peace</title> to indicate that the
> content is a title and not a person’s name, just in a different way.

No, <list> and <title> are of the same kind, but the type of bullet is
equivalent to saying that titles need to be underlined or double
underlined. (There is certainly a semantic difference between ordered and
unordered lists, but how they are rendered on the page is a different
matter).

> I agree that you might not want to use this kind of thing for MEI that
> describes born-digital material (where the author controls the rendition),
> but it’s essential for describing already-existing material, especially if
> it is non-standard in some way, for example if it contains a printing error
> that caused an item in an otherwise-numbered list to be labelled with an
> “A”.  How could one possibly *describe* this situation without saying
> anything about the bullets?  Putting this kind of information in a CSS file
> is just moving the problem.  The markup no longer contains any information
> about the bullets, but the CSS does and without it (the CSS) the MEI
> doesn’t effectively *describe* its source so the two have to be interpreted
> together.  There’s a false sense of having separated the content and
> presentation in this case.

I don't disagree, but CSS is a more useful system than mixing in CSS-like
values in MEI - which is what has caused my objection to arise. The way TEI
handles this is by creating categories: list X is of a special type and has
a specific rendition. The rendition is then expressed using adequate
systems, not TEI (and the code can be embedded if you want to keep
everything in one file). The ODD allows you to document why the special
type is needed and how that impacts the rest of your customization. Not
saying that this is *the* only way to handle this, but it works.

Raff