[MEI-L] dots on chords and rests; chords with notes of differing duration

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Thu Oct 15 22:07:06 CEST 2015

Ah yes, we do need to think in terms of the various domains to be clear about all this.

Odd you didn't get the attachment; I checked, and this is one of the rare cases where I failed to forget it :-) . Anyway, it's now available at

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2p91S3Iky-VZ1hkNXl3MzZncnM/view?usp=sharing

For case #2, you say "I could imagine a situation where the following chord is actually only a quarter note in duration and the half note heads indicate…" Surely you mean "the following chord is actually only a quarter note LATER"? If so, I've situations -- especially in Chopin -- that could be interpreted this way. In that case, a voice is overlapping with itself in the logical domain: an unpleasant situation, and one that could be avoided here by assuming the presence of an additional voice… But I've also seen (very rarely) situations where I think the most sensible interpretation really is a voice overlapping itself :-| .

--DAB