[MEI-L] dots on chords and rests

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Wed Oct 14 19:13:18 CEST 2015

I know this is and endless debate, and eventually, it's just a matter of words, or analytical concepts, but I would always argue that chords in MEI are always constituted by notes of the same duration. Everything else is a matter of splitting things up into layers. This can become quite ugly, as it easily results in a bunch of <space> elements, but I strongly prefer this very strict approach over a loose concept of a chord constituted by arbitrary notes just sharing a stem. Again, I'm talking about how to encode things in MEI. I don't care much how people call these things on paper…

Just my 2c,
jo