[MEI-L] Bracketed Lines in MEI

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 30 23:24:47 CEST 2015

Hi Eleanor,

Thank you for responding. Perhaps it would be helpful if I could give the full context of why I'm asking: The common use of this symbol is, indeed, to signify a ligature, and it's even what it's supposed to be doing in the particular example I posted.

However, I'm looking to translate this score from Sibelius (which is the environment I'm in) to MEI. As such, I don't think I can assume that everywhere a bracket like this occurred it "meant" a ligature, especially given the range of brackets one may encounter in this software:

This is why I hope to use the more generic "line" element to represent this particular graphic, and am looking for a way to represent its start and end points without also giving it any particular meaning.

That said, one of the modifications I hope to work on soon is the translation of common editorial idioms from Sibelius into editorial markup, e.g., assuming notes under a group are ligatures, or assuming that a sharp symbol above the staff is a ficta, and marking it up as such in the MEI. This would be an option that a person would enable when they exported their file to MEI, but for now I'm focusing on just getting the symbols encoded.

Thanks again,
-Andrew