[MEI-L] MEI and Libraries

Kristina Richts kristina.richts at gmx.de
Sun Apr 19 10:45:37 CEST 2015

Hi Vaughan,

Welcome on MEI-L!

MEI indeed offers promising opportunities for cataloging issues and the use in music libraries. It provides wide-ranging possibilities to encode high quality metadata in a very detailed and extensive way. But the development of using MEI in the daily work of music libraries is more or less just starting from scratch - this is why you could not find very much documentation about it (yet).

The implementation of the FRBR model in 2013 was one of the first attemps to adapt MEI to the requirements of not only music libraries but also cataloguing projects. Along with the MEI Guidelines you could also have a look at the Header section of the MEI 1st Tutorials:
http://music-encoding.org/support/MEI1st/exploring_the_header
There are brief descriptions of the main header elements and an example of cataloging with MEI as well as a cheat sheet which represents the structure of an MEI header.

Along with the mentioned catalogue of Carl Nielsen’s works, you might have a look at the metadata editor MerMEId, which was developed at the Royal Library of Copenhagen by Axel Teich Geertinger: http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/dcm/projekter/mermeid.html
The Nielsen catalogue was created using this tool and is a great first example of displaying MEI metadata. Besides the Nielsen edition a lot of other editorial or cataloguing projects started to adopt MEI for cataloguing purposes, i.e. RISM or Bach Digital, to name a few.

Another cooperation project with a library (the Regional Library in Detmold) is the Detmold Court Theatre Project, in which I am working. We aim at developing an MEI and TEI based model for contextual indexing of musical holdings. It is intended to use MEI for a contextual indexing of sheet music for the first time there and to demonstrate the potential of MEI as a cataloging format, including encodings of incipits and detailed descriptions of the material components.

In response to the increased interest in using MEI as a cataloguing format, we are currently preparing the establishing of a cataloging interest group (including a mailing list for this topic), which will have its first meeting at this year’s Music Encoding Conference being held in Florence from 18th to 21st May. We will be glad if you decide to participate: http://music-encoding.org/conference

I hope this will help you. Please let us know if you have any further questions or if you need some more material for your presentation.

Best,
Kristina

Am 17.04.2015 um 20:08 schrieb Andrew Hankinson <andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca>:

> Hi Vaughan,
>
> There is a significant amount of information in the MEI guidelines about how FRBR is implemented in MEI:
>
> http://music-encoding.org/documentation/guidelines2013/FRBR
>
> The online catalogue of Carl Nielsen’s works is a great example of how libraries can use MEI to present extensive musical metadata online using MEI.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.kb.dk/dcm/cnw/navigation.xq
> http://www.kb.dk/dcm/cnw/download_xml.xq?doc=cnw0001.xml
>
> -Andrew
>
>> On Apr 17, 2015, at 12:56 AM, Vaughan Hennen <vhennen at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is my first time posting on the list-serv.
>>
>> My name is Vaughan Hennen - I am pursuing a dual masters degree in Library Science and Information Science from Indiana University Bloomington.  My bachelors degree is from the University of North Texas in cello performance.
>>
>> The project that I am presenting, is about MEI and its application in today's music libraries.
>>
>> I have done reading on what MEI is and how it is applicable in music libraries, but I am still not clear on its use in music libraries.
>>
>> Would any of you offer some insight about how music libraries use MEI metadata or how the extensible language adds to the library?
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> -Vaughan Hennen

Kristina Richts, M.A., MA LIS

Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin
DFG-Projekt „Entwicklung eines MEI- und TEI-basierten Modells kontextueller Tiefenerschließung
von Musikalienbeständen am Beispiel des Detmolder Hoftheaters im 19. Jahrhundert (1825-1875)“

Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar Detmold/Paderborn
Gartenstraße 20
D-32756 Detmold

Tel.: +49 5231 975 665
E-Mail: kristina.richts at uni-paderborn.de