[MEI-L] Music Addressability Service (alpha)

Jason Stoessel Jason.Stoessel at une.edu.au
Mon Mar 2 12:45:12 CET 2015

Bravo! A excellent step in a very promising direction for MEI.

> On 28 Feb 2015, at 5:54 am, Raffaele Viglianti <raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear List,
>
> As part of the Enhancing Music Notation Addressability (EMA) project, we've been working on a service that implements the Music Addressability API for MEI. (I sent an update about that back in November).
>
> The idea behind EMA is to make it possible to link to specific parts of a music document available online.
>
> A demo interface to the MEI service is available here: http://umd-mith.github.io/ema/
>
> It allows you to:
>
> - obtain file information useful to make a selection (e.g. number of measures and stave, beat changes, etc.)
> - make a selection via a form
> - retrieve the MEI selection and obtain the selection URL
>
> The interface simply builds a URL for the service, which is hosted at http://ema.mith.org/. You can send GET requests directly to the service, for example:[1]
>
> http://ema.mith.org/http%3A%2F%2Fmusic-encoding.org%2FsampleCollection%2Fencodings%2Fattribute_syl.xml/1-1/1,3/1-1
>
> This will give you a selection of the file attribute_syl.xml, specifically the first beat of measure one, first and third staves.
>
> Some quick tech info: the service is a Flask-based RESTful service that uses DDMAL's libmei python bindings to operate on MEI files.
>
> Please consider this to be in *alpha*, I would expect a few glitches, and I wouldn't rule out major catastrophes :) In fact, I would very much appreciate your feedback so that we can catch some bugs. One way of testing the service could be trying it out with your MEI files published online and see if you get back the selections that you'd expect.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Best wishes,
> Raff
>
> NOTES
> [1]: NB this is a proof-of-concept so the service at ema.mith.org is not meant to be permanent, at least for now.

Dr Jason Stoessel, BMus/BA, BA Hons, PhD
Adjunct Research Fellow
School of Arts
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
University of New England
ARMIDALE NSW 2351
AUSTRALIA
jason.stoessel at une.edu.au
Skype ID: jjstoessel
FaceTime: jason.stoessel at gmail.com
une-au.academia.edu/JasonStoessel
--
Chief Investigator, ARC Discovery Project (DP150102135)
“Canonic techniques and musical change, c.1330–c.1530"